[pycrypto] the sad state of pycrypto

Sergey Chernov sergey.chernov at thrift.ru
Tue Nov 11 05:27:40 CST 2008

If the problem is to avoid buffer overrun in C code and it worth
thinking of other languages, try C++. For example, pycrypto C++
extension interface may provide safe (handcoded) buffer and vector
classes (templates) which could be as safe against overruns as
language-backed arrays as in higher level languages. Requirement to
use these vector/buffer implementations for future implementation may
be better solution than adding another language to C/Python. As C++ is
integrated with C compiler on absolutely most platforms and is
supported by setuptools be default, we can assume that C++ is already
supported in any python C extension.

Moreover, proper C++ infrastructure could make extension writing
process quite streamlined and easy and force developers to use safe
and wise techniques.

Sergey Chernov
sergey.chernov at thrift.ru