[pycrypto] PyCrypto AND Crypt_RSA integration

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Fri Feb 6 18:56:50 CST 2009

Mauricio Arozi wrote, On 02/06/2009 07:53 PM:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to import/export keys from/to Crypt_RSA
> <http://pear.php.net/package/Crypt_RSA>, using PyCrypto
> <http://www.dlitz.net/software/pycrypto/>. My problem is that while
> using PyCrypto to generate both public and private keys, the
> e(exponent?) is always the same.
> According to this site: http://pajhome.org.uk/crypt/rsa/rsa.html, and
> yet others, the e(exponent?) is used for the public key, and d for the
> private key.

Yes, many implementations and applications of RSA uses a fixed exponent
- very often 65537 (F4). Usually that is a good decision and no problem
- perhaps except for interoperability.

And yes, interoperability is often very hard when implementing crypto
stuff. IMHO an important criteria when selecting a crypto library is
having examples / proof of how it interoperates with other implementations.

It is not clear to me exactly what you are asking for, so I can't answer
that directly - I hope someone else can do that.

/Mads