[pycrypto] Policy changes - Now accepting patches from the U.S.

Paul Koning paul_koning at dell.com
Tue Nov 30 05:49:17 CST 2010

On Nov 29, 2010, at 10:46 PM, Dwayne C. Litzenberger wrote:

> I've released "PyCrypto Code Submission Requirements - Rev. D":
>
>     http://www.dlitz.net/software/pycrypto/submission-requirements/
>
> This is the same as revision C, except I'm now accepting patches from U.S.
> contributors.
>
> My original concern was that, hypothetically, U.S. export regulations could
> in the future become incompatible with Canadian regulations such that it
> would be impossible to simultaneously comply with both.  That's still a
> risk, but I don't have any reason to think it will happen any time soon,
> and I don't know what that would imply anyway.  If it ever happens, I'll
> probably just stop distributing PyCrypto and move on to other things.

Isn't this already the case right now that the regulations are different?  Possibly the *outcome*, for the case of PyCrypto at least, it similar enough, but from what I remember the actual rules are quite different.

It seems to me a bit like taking a BSD-licensed project and deciding to accept GPL-licensed contributions.  The result is still open source but it does makea  difference.

In this case, it seems to me you're changing PyCrypto from a project that is NOT "subject to the EAL" (the U.S. Export regulations) to one that is.  Are you sure you want to do that?

	paul