[pycrypto] Once again: Python3 with PyCrypto

Thorsten Behrens sbehrens at gmx.li
Thu Dec 23 22:51:33 CST 2010

On 12/23/2010 9:18 PM, Dwayne C. Litzenberger wrote:
> Also, down the road, I could be convinced to drop Python 2.1 support, if I
> had some concrete examples showing that the result would be substantially
> less error-prone, easier to maintain, etc.
So far, it doesn't look like that's needed. dict.has_key() cannot be
replaced with "in" for 2.1, but 2to3 seems to handle it fine.

Does "setup.py test" touch all of the pycrypto library, or only part of
it? That is, can I rely on its output to know whether a conversion to
Python 3.x was successful?

I can use some assistance with asn1.py. It defines the magic slice
methods. These are gone for good in Python 3.x (deprecated since Python
2.0). My understanding is that in Python 2.x, it's still necessary to
define these, as they may get called when the parent class has them.
Fair enough.

As I understand it, in 3.x, the item methods are called with a sequence
wherever a slice method would have been called before. Given this code,
then, is that going to cause issues? Do the item methods need to be
changed to make sure the class still behaves as expected under 3.x?

class DerSequence(DerObject):
     def __init__(self):
         DerObject.__init__(self, 'SEQUENCE')
         self._seq = []