[pycrypto] Building a Win32 egg for PyCrypto 2.5

George V. Reilly george at reilly.org
Mon Jan 30 02:18:25 EST 2012

I'm really surprised that there's no information on building Win32 eggs
anywhere on the PyCrypto website or in the PyCrypto docs. With all the
export regulations, I can understand why you might not want to supply
pre-built binaries, but it would be good to explain how to do it. Michael
Foord has supplied such binaries for earlier versions of PyCrypto, but
there's none available for PyCrypto 2.5 yet.

I managed to figure it out today, with an assist from
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/HowtoBuildPyCryptoOnWindows

Here's the batch file that I used:

REM Build a Win32 egg for Python 2.6 or 2.7
REM Assumes that you have the Visual Studio 2008 C++ compiler (Express
suffices).
REM
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2008-editions/express

if ["%VCINSTALLDIR%"]==[""] ("%VS90COMNTOOLS%"vsvars32.bat)

@REM If package uses setuptools, this can be
@REM collapsed to "python setup.py bdist_egg"
python setup.py build
python -c "import setuptools; execfile('setup.py')" bdist_egg

The standard Windows binaries for Python 2.5 and earlier are built with
different compilers.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/101061/building-python-c-extension-modules-for-windowsgives
some hints.
--