[pycrypto] AES, python 2.7 vs 3

Dave Pawson dave.pawson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 00:25:02 PST 2014

On 7 February 2014 17:01,  <Paul_Koning at dell.com> wrote:
> That’s what pycrypto needs to do, yes.  From what Dwayne says, it sounds like that’s currently not finished yet.
>
> The easiest way to look at this is as a data type matching exercise.  Cryptographic operations are functions that operate on sequences of bytes.  Unicode strings are NOT sequences of bytes — they are an entirely different data type.

How (if at all) does that statement change if I am using unicode,
utf-8 encoding please Paul?
As I understand it, utf-8 constitutes octets? Or am I wrong?

> It is valid to speak of specific encodings of Unicode strings as sequences of bytes, but the key point is that you have to do the encoding — which means, first of all, choosing WHICH encoding — in order to have that sequence of bytes.

And how does that match with Python 3, which (appears |  is) based on
Unicode strings?

> Since you have to make those choices, it’s not safe for APIs like crypto to accept strings and effectively do some encoding as a side effect.  Better to require bytes in the interface, and let you handle the encode/decode steps explicitly, in the way you want them to be done.

Thanks for that Paul... you seem to be pointing at Pycrypto as the
source of my problem. An approach paper / web page would be very
helpful to me (and others facing the same issues) in managing this
slippery (to me) aspect of crypto.

Again, thanks for the comments.

DaveP

--