[pycrypto] the sad state of pycrypto

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Sat Nov 8 18:23:50 CST 2008

Stefan Spoettl wrote, On 11/08/2008 09:48 PM:
> To fill the wide algorithmic gap of pycrypt I propose a look at
> Crypto++ Library of Wei Dai (http://www.cryptopp.com). Crypto++ is
> licensed like pycrypt and recommanded by the NIST. In this C++ library
> could be found all to fill the gap. But this library has a damned ugly
> structur and contains more than 333 file. So it will be a lot of work
> to extract the useful things.

Ugly or not, it is my impression that Crypto++ has a good reputation and
deserves it. It would be a good base, but how would forking it - in your
opinion - be an improvement?

Inventing own crypto algorithms or implementations is always bad in
itself. Other factors might however make it necessary or worthwhile
(factors such as python-cryptos existing and used simple codebase with
proper licensing).

If you like Crypto++ then why not use it with an appropriate wrapper?
Why not use Zookos pycryptopp? Only because of the licensing?

/Mads