[pycrypto] the sad state of pycrypto

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Sat Nov 8 20:35:53 CST 2008

On Nov 8, 2008, at 17:23 PM, Mads Kiilerich wrote:

> If you like Crypto++ then why not use it with an appropriate
> wrapper? Why not use Zookos pycryptopp? Only because of the licensing?

Pycryptopp [1] offers only a few algorithms -- just the ones we need
for the Tahoe project [2] and whatever the Beaker coders asked for
[3]: SHA-256, AES, RSA-PSS, and (not quite working right yet) ECDSA.

I would be willing to entertain the prospect of adding wrappers for
other algorithms from Crypto++ for other people's use, especially if
this increased the chance of other people helping me to audit, test,
debug, port, and maintain pycryptopp.

Another option would be to use a code generation tool like SWIG or
Boost.Python to create Python interfaces to the full Crypto++ API.
This is in contrast to the current pycryptopp approach, which is hand-
coded C++ wrapper code.

Regards,

Zooko

[1] http://allmydata.org/trac/pycryptopp