[pycrypto] Pycrypto, New contributor, TODO & Camellia

rusydi hasan rusydi.hasan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 03:09:20 CST 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Dwayne C. Litzenberger <dlitz at dlitz.net>wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 05:39:40PM +0800, rusydi hasan wrote:
> >Hi Dwayne,
> >
> >First of all, let me introduce myself. Im rusydi, an undergaduate computer
> >science in malaysia.
>
> Hi there!
>
> >I have necessary background in cryptography, specifically block cipher,
> and
> >C programming. Im interested to become a contributor in the next release
> of
> >pycrypto (i read that you need the contributor outside US and Canada and
> not
> >the US/Canada Passport holder), especially in the implementation of some
> >block ciphers. But i have few things that i need to ask to you
>
> That's great!  One correction: I only ask that contributors be non-US
> citizens/residents.  Canada is fine; I'm Canadian.  :)

Got it :) !

> >   1. In TODO list i saw that pycrypto is gonna implement Camellia. AFAIK,
> >   camellia is a patented block cipher by Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
> and
> >   Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation (NTT), Japan. I attached the
> >   intellectual property statement, submitted to NESSIE submission
>
> Yes, but there is also this:
>
>     Announcement of Royalty-free Licenses for Essential Patents
>     of NTT Encryption and Digital Signature Algorithms
>
>     http://www.ntt.co.jp/news/news01e/0104/010417.html
>
> See also the list at:
>
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NESSIE

Thanks for the link.

> >   2. Is it necessary to implement some Light-Weight Block Cipher in
> >   pycrypto ? (such as DESL, TEA, KATAN, SEA, etc) because im planning to
> >   submit some of these light-weight block cipher for the pycrypto.
>
> I've never heard of any of these ciphers except for TEA, and TEA is
> vulnerable to a practical related-key attack.

Its the family of lightweight block cipher, designed for small-scaled system
and ubiquitous devices (RFID, etc) .
You can check this link :

http://www.ecrypt.eu.org/lightweight/index.php/Block_ciphers

> I am reluctant to add any more 64-bit block ciphers, since you can expect
> block collisions after only 2**32 blocks (32 GiB of data) in some modes,
> and they're tricky to use in CTR mode with long-term keys (again, because
> the collision probability is too high).
>
> I am also very reluctant to add any variants of DES, since pretty much
> every variant of DES has been weaker than DES itself.
>
> I don't want to maintain additional ciphers in my tree unless they are
> mature and offer significant advantages over what PyCrypto already has.
> I'm even hesitant to add Camellia---The only reason I'm considering it is
> that PyCrypto only has one 128-bit block cipher right now (AES), and
> because the proposed candidate, Camellia, made it through the NESSIE
> competition.  Even then, I don't consider it a priority, and PyCrypto 2.1
> will be released without it.

Well, i ll still try to work on Camellia.

> I'm much more interested in making the crypto we already have less
> error-prone to use.  For example, we need a PKCS#1 v2.1 implementation, a
> *complete* DSA implementation, improved RSA key generation, improved
> primality testing, more test cases, a Diffie-Hellman implementation, a
> reworking of the Crypto.PublicKey API, and a thorough de-linting of the C
> code.
>
> That said, some people might find your code to be useful, even if it
> doesn't get included in PyCrypto, so feel free to post it to the mailing
> list.  :-)
>
> >   3. How to submit the source code ? since i could not clone the git
> >   repository (the port is blocked from my campus network). And i dont
> have
> >   adequate background in open-source software development.
>
> <rant>
> Your campus network support people need to stop interfering with the
> end-to-end operation of the Internet Protocol, and to actually start doing
> their job, which is to support you, rather than shifting that burden onto
> me.
> </rant>
>
> You should be able to clone from
>
>     http://git.pycrypto.org/crypto/pycrypto-2.x.git
>
> As for submitting source code, you should publish your changes somewhere,
> such as by doing one of the following things:
>
> - Post your patches to the mailing list using "git send-email".
> - Generate a series of patches using "git format-patch" and send them to
>   the mailing list yourself.
> - Create a git repository somewhere and announce it on the mailing list.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Dwayne
>
> --
> Dwayne C. Litzenberger <dlitz at dlitz.net>
>  Key-signing key   - 19E1 1FE8 B3CF F273 ED17  4A24 928C EC13 39C2 5CF7
>  Annual key (2009) - C805 1746 397B 0202 2758  2821 58E0 894B 81D2 582E

Thanks alot !

--
Rusydi Hasan Makarim (0721051)
Department of Computer Science